Monday, February 21, 2011

Online Dating

The world of gay dating is an interesting one. In my experience, most of the first interactions between two people occur online. Let's face it, it's hard to go up to someone and just hit on them. I wouldn't even do that in a gay club, let alone in a normal setting where I could be hitting on a straight guy! Oh and just FYI straight guys, just because a guy is gay doesn't mean he's attracted to you. That's like thinking that every straight girl is attracted to you. But you might already think that...conceited...moving on!

So I thought I'd write a little blog about some of the things that I find funny in cyber dating. Let us first begin with the all-amazing iPhone.

There have been research articles that have shown that iPhone owners are more likely to have sex. Why you may ask? Well, it could be that there are multiple applications for the iPhone which allows a user, using the built in GPS chip, to see who is nearby and of the same sexual orientation. I have a few of these applications on my phone and I've met some cool people and some rather...interesting...people as well. Let me tell you some of the "secrets" to these apps.

Some people think they are being all clever and sneaky when they hide certain information on the apps. The basic information asks for a picture, age, height, weight and ethnicity.

So let's say someone decides not to show their age. They're probably thinking to themselves, "I bet if I don't show my age, everyone will think I'm super young and talk to me..." Uh, no. If you hide information like that, you're basically going to cause the opposite effect. You're hiding your age because your old.

The same thing happens with profile pictures. People choose to showcase a different part of their body, mostly the chest which can make for some great eye candy, or they show a blurry picture of their face. It should come as no surprise when they do actually show their face you might be in for a bit of a shock! Just show your face people! Not everyone is going to think you're attractive! But at least that way the ones who do think you're cute will talk to you and the other ones won't have to dig through the obligatory "hello, how are you? Do you have a face picture?" to find out you're not the one for them.

And why is it that guys are so obsessed with how their chests look? I mean, don't get me wrong, I think a nice chest is...well...nice! But I don't think that every single person on the planet should be required to have one in order to become appealing to the opposite sex. I also think it's funny when a guys' profile picture is just a chest and he says on the profile, "not looking for a hookup..." Well, I hate to break it to you, but showing off your chest without any other information is basically telling everyone you have nothing better to offer than your body. Sounds like you're looking for a hookup to me.

Now on more detailed sites, like websites designed for dating, you can add a variety of information to your profile. I basically wrote a narrative for mine because it keeps the creepers away, while allowing for the people who are actually intelligent to laugh at my writing style, and hopefully proceed to email me.

"Be straight acting" I see that phrase all over the place! Um...I'm not straight. Nor do I intend to be. I don't know what's down there on a woman's body but I'm pretty sure Easy A said it best, "What is with you gays? Do you think I have a gnome down there...?" Yes, yes I do.

So where did this homophobia of other gays come from? Well, I can understand what they mean. I can't say I relish being with a gay who is exactly like The National Enquirer in human form. I can only take that in small doses people. But really? Straight acting? We're all gonna be a little gay! I mean, you like boys, that's pretty gay if you ask me. This is not to say I am extremely feminine. But I'm not extremely masculine either. I'm a healthy balanced gay. Except when I'm hyper, then I tend to get a teensy bit more flaming!

The online world provides a sense of security and a detachment of oneself from the feelings of others. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to chat with someone, and the next thing I know, I can no longer access their profiles. I must have bad breath or something that can be detected through the Internet! There must be some conspiracy going on here...

So there's a little bit about the dating world. It's a little bit messed up. Which is why it's preferred, for me anyway, to meet people in person. I've been told I'm cuter in person anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Amen, sista! :)

    I am also tired of all the shenanigans of online dating. It gets quite old.

    PS you are cuter in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to post an online dating profile complaining about all the stupid crap I hate from others' online profiles...but I don't want to seem like a negative nelly. What a person posts in their profile pics show what they value of themselves....a smile means personality, a shirtless means their body, a genitalia or breasts pic means sex, with their friends or family means friends and family, with pets means their love....etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Online dating put me in a lot of negative situations even though I stuck to the apps/sites that had the cleanest reputations. As it turns out, my boyfriend found my blog through one of those profiles. I'd suggest sharing a link to this blog whenever possible, so that they can get a sense of the "you" that can't be described in 100 words or less.

    It took two years before he came along, and I'd completely lost patience by then. Fortunately, I didn't do anything too rash. I wish I'd known then, though, that there is hope for gay love in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had mixed success with online dating sites. You have to be pretty careful to screen people properly, but you can have some positive experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, astute observations. Reminds me of a post I started once. Maybe I'll have to finish it sometime. I've only ever used two dating sites, one of which is primarily gay. Met some good guys, interesting peops, potentials, but...yeah...I much prefer meeting people through friends. And seriously...enough with the shirtless in the bathroom mirror shots, boys. Fuhreak.

    ReplyDelete